|Shannon Hills Bible Chapel began in
September, 1940 after several fruitful Gospel meetings in tents, temporary
tabernacles and homes throughout Greensboro. Evangelist Lester Wilson from
Stratford, Ontario, Canada held Gospel meetings here with large numbers of
individuals receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior.
In 1940, the Forest Avenue
Baptist Church was purchased by a congregation that numbered about 30 people. It
was renamed Forest Avenue Tabernacle, befitting the non-denominational position
of the church. This newly formed church was founded on the principles and
practices of the New Testament churches. The Christians who are in fellowship
here gather simply to the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ alone. By 1942 our
Sunday School, and the number of believers in fellowship, was growing rapidly.
Mr. Wilson was now burdened about starting other similar assemblies in
Burlington, Durham, Siler City, and Sanford.
Mr. H.G. Mackay, also from
Canada, then serving the Lord in Winston-Salem, NC, was led of the Lord to come
to Greensboro to help in the work. He was an outstanding Bible Teacher and
Preacher, and under his leadership the work grew rapidly. He conducted a daily
radio program from 1943 until 1984, preached several times weekly at the Forest
Avenue Tabernacle and other assemblies being formed in this area; organized our
Sunday School into classes; held special Gospel Meetings; and began a fruitful
youth work. He remained active in the work here at Shannon Hills Bible Chapel
for over 50 years, until he and his wife retired to the Pittsboro Christian
Village in Pittsboro, NC.
In 1963, a five-acre tract of
land was purchased on West Vandalia Road and a new, much larger building was
erected to accommodate a growing church. The name was changed to Shannon Hills
Bible Chapel. Associated with Mr. Mackay, J. Eddie Schwartz of Memphis,
Tennessee, came to Greensboro to help in the work in 1968 and remained until
1984. A period of good growth and an extension of programs for all ages took
place during this time. In 1984, W. Larry Batts, who had labored for the Lord in
Durham and Burlington, NC, came to Greensboro and remained as a very able
teacher and preacher until 1994. Charles Crawford, up to this time an elder in
the church, came into full-time ministry at the Chapel in 1985 and served in
that capacity until 1989. He continues as an elder. In 1994, Mark Shelley, who
had grown up attending the chapel and was then our Youth Director, was commended
to full-time ministry and is serving in a very fruitful manner in this capacity
and as an elder.
In 1972, the church acquired the
property next door. The refurbished house serves as a home for missionaries on
furlough, and for visiting speakers and special events. In 1989, a large
multi-purpose building was erected. It includes a full-sized gymnasium, two
large meeting rooms, and a large kitchen. It is well-equipped for many of our
present programs and for future expansion, being ideally suited for special
programs for our children and young people.
After more than 60 years of
proving His Word to be true and sufficient in every aspect of our lives, we look
forward to more years of God's faithfulness; and hopefully, our fruitfulness to
Him and to His Word. We seek to be a friendly and fundamental church to all who
come our way.